Where does Inkie and her family "do church"?
We refer to "going to church" as "doing church" because church isn't about a building. The Church is people.
The model of a healthy church
We believe that a healthy church should model itself after the early church as it is described in Acts 2:41-47:
Those who believed what Peter said were baptised and added to the church - about three thousand in all. They joined with the other believers and devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, sharing in the Lord's Supper and in prayer.
A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. And all the believers met together constantly and shared everyting they had. They sold their possessions and shared the proceeds with those in need. The worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and share their meals with great joy and generosity - all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their group those who were being saved. (NLT)
Breaking this down:
- They were a church that practise baptism (v.41) - they were obedient, and expected people to make a commitment to Christ
- They met together regularly for teaching and worship (v.42,46) - they wanted to grow and be challenged in their walk with the Lord
- They met together regularly for fellowship (vv.42,44,46) - they recognised the need to belonging to a supportive community
- The frequently shared the Lord's Supper together (v.42,46) - they meditated on the significance of Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross
- They were a praying church (v.42) - they understood and walked in the power of prayer
- They had a deep sense of awe (v.43) - they understood the majesty of God
- They performed miraculous signs and wonders (v.43)- they werent' afraid to put God to the test
- They shared what they had (v.44) - they were a generous church
- They sold their possessions (v.45) - they stopped putting their trust in material things
- They personally helped others in need (v.45) - they didn't point them to the nearest welfare agency!
- They were a praising church (v.47) - they praised God in every situation
- They were well thought of in the community (v.47) - people looked favourably on them because of they way they lived their lives
- They were a growing church (v.47) - people were attracted Christ because of what they saw happening in the lives of those who belonged to the church
Believing that God wanted us to be part of a fellowship like this, my husband Graeme and I searched for a church that fitted this description. We have finally found our spiritual home at Southern Life Church in Carrum Downs. Here, along with our two youngest children, we have found healing, challenging teaching and wonderful fellowship. Every week God has something to say to us and the church just keeps growing!!
If you live in the Frankston area, would like to learn more about the things of God, or are just looking for a Church or Home Group that you can belong to, then please don't hesitate to email me at . I'd love to hear from you!